Course: Main Course
Servings: 8 burgers
- 3 tbsp ground flax
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 14 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3/4 cup red onion, sweet onion one or both, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic large, minced
- 1 cup carrots grated (or sweet potatoes)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup sundlower seeds toasted
- 1-2 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos or coconut aminos
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats processed into a coarse meal
- 1/2 cup spelt breadcrumbs or breadcrumbs of choice (omit for gluten free and add more oat flour)
- 1-2 tbsp oat flour or flour of choice, as needed
- 1/2-3/4 tsp sea salt
- pepper freshly ground, to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Mix the ground flax and water in a small bowl and set aside for about 5 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, mash the beans until 2/3 of the mixture is a bean "paste" while leaving about 1/3 of the beans mostly whole.
In a medium skillet, add the oil and increase the heat to medium.
Stir in the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt.
Cook for approximately 5 minutes, until the onion softens. Transfer the onion mixture into the bowl with the mashed beans.
Stir in the flax mixture, grated carrots, parsley (or cilantro), sunflower seeds, soy sauce, chili powder, oregano, and cumin until thoroughly combined.
Stir in the coarsely chopped oats, breadcrumbs, and oat flour until the mixture sticks together.
Add, in the salt and pepper, to taste.
Shape the dough into 8 patties. Place onto the baking sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes, flip, and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
Cool the patties for 5 to 10 minutes before serving to help firm them up.